Friday, September 4, 2009

"Performance and Safety in Ice Skating"

This video blog/ article about figure skating has a really big "hits home" factor with me. I have been skating since I was 8 years old, and taken the past couple of years off due to college. I have experienced MANY injuries as my life of a figure skater, a couple in particular almost paralyzing. I have fallen on my tailbone so many times I have lost count. I have also almost broken 2 ribs but thankfully just bruised them very badly. I can continue with the list of injuries going from ankles to knees to elbows...the list goes on and on. For a sport known for its grace and perfection there are definitely some consequences that many people don't realize because apparently to some skating is just dressing up in frilly costumes. The time put into each and every move, jump, and spin can take weeks, months and even years to accomplish. In this video it showed how they are putting sensors on parts of the body to get the proper rotations and movements that occur when doing jumps. With this technology the skater will know what to fix and how to improve some of their moves. This will definitely help with decreasing injury rates. I wish I could test some of this technology out. I really feel like it will help skaters a lot and save them the time they take off to rest up after crazy injuries.

1 comment:

  1. Amanda, that's great that you were able to find something that's so relevant to your life. I wonder if other sports are using similar technology. I imagine it would be very useful in analyzing someone's golf swing or pitching motion. Figure skating must be a demanding sport. Congratulations for all the effort you have put into it.

    ReplyDelete