Monday, September 28, 2009

"How Much of Your Memory Is True"

"Rita Magil was driving down a Montreal boulevard one sunny morning in 2002 when a car came blasting through a red light straight toward her. “I slammed the brakes, but I knew it was too late,” she says. “I thought I was going to die.” The oncoming car smashed into hers, pushing her off the road and into a building with large cement pillars in front. A pillar tore through the car, stopping only about a foot from her face. She was trapped in the crumpled vehicle, but to her shock, she was still alive."


This lede was very catching to me. The mind is a wondrous thing; what it can do, what it can make you think for instance. Having this lede be from a personal experience really is what pulled me in. I wanted to know more as soon as I read the last line. I think always starting out with a story in a lede will always be a catcher for people. The title I think was also very appealing because it makes you think. Are you living a lie? Is all of your memory true, or is is all just made up in your head to make you believe in something else?
If a lede can make you ask questions, I feel the writer has accomplished its purpose. As long as those questions are answered in the following lines I feel it is a job well done.
This lede in particular makes me feel for this woman, it held suspense over my head, how could she have managed to stay alive after all of that? After continuing my reading the story just evolved into something that will always make me wonder about what really goes on up there in my brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment